Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
FutureGarageForum.com • View topic - Who's Using More Hardware Than Software?

Who's Using More Hardware Than Software?

Discuss Production Techniques and ask Production Questions here.

Who's Using More Hardware Than Software?

Postby freeklow » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:55 pm

Who's using more hardware than software to make their music. I'm not trying to talk about which is better, they both have their merits and ultimately it's about the final product. I'm just curious who else is a luddite like myself.

My hardware: MPC3000, TR-808, MS2000, JP-8000.

Actually I'm about the hybrid, running Reason tracks off the the MPC via Pro Tools, but my composition process is mostly out of the box.
freeklow

Re: Who's Using More Hardware Than Software?

Postby trava » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:01 pm

I wish! Im on software only unfortunately :/ hopefully will get some hardware soon..
http://soundcloud.com/levermusic/over-here

new UK based producer // Check out my tracks & let me know what you think!

L.E.V.E.R
trava

Postby Swiped » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:34 pm

Sold all my hardware so now just all in one box , Takes up less space no more 4 way sockets all over the place and daisy chaining midi or phono leads all over the place.
But saying that do miss some of my old stuff.. would like to get a few hardware triggering pads like maschine or something along that line.
Swiped

Postby Stealth Elf » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:15 pm

I'm not rich enough to afford hardware.

:(
Stealth Elf

Postby beebmun » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:04 pm

Stealth Elf wrote:I'm not rich enough to afford hardware.

:(

+1

I have a Laptop, good soundcard, good headphones and an Alesis Q49 MIDI Keyboard...
beebmun

Postby Inofaith » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:26 am

I sample lots of sounds that come from devices and record real world sounds.
But it's all treated inside a DAW and played with a keyboard.
So, not so much digital syntheses, lots of genuine feel.
Inofaith

Postby ebbdeezy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:34 am

I'm with you freek let's get to geva
ebbdeezy

Postby ToneBox » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:52 pm

I had to sell all my hardware. Hard times!
Had a korg EMX, Dave Smith evolver, Vermona drm-1 mkIII & Casio CZ5000. I would record everything into pro tools and fuck around with it in there. I prefer the sound of hardware and the hands on side of it.
I've started to get back on my feet so plan to start building my studio up again. It's kind of cool I get a fresh start and I'm only gonna buy a few bits of analogue gear.
ToneBox

Postby ToneBox » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:56 pm

Btw you can get some decent hardware cheaper than some software. All you need to do is research and you will know what I'm talking about.
ToneBox

Postby glottis5 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:08 am

i want to start using hardware... not because i think hardware is better, i just think it would be fun and interesting. it would force you to look at track composition in a different way
glottis5

Postby Mike Hindle » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:05 pm

Software only for me. If I could though I'd get an 808 and a couple of vintage synths, but that's not gonna happen anytime soon :cry:
Mike Hindle

Postby Heckler » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:07 am

ToneBox wrote:Btw you can get some decent hardware cheaper than some software. All you need to do is research and you will know what I'm talking about.

Yeah for sure! I have a lot of hardware I have been gathering and almost all of it was in the free to less than 100$ range, mostly just funky old effect boxes and a couple tape machines that I bought for next to nothing. Thrift store junky here (and guilty of quite a few ebay impulse buys). Also it is really easy and cheap to make your own spring reverb for super weird lofi sounds, I'm currently working on my second one. If you ever have an extra 50 bones go check out ebay and get an 80's reverb for them gated verbs.

Unfortunately I haven't been producing much lately so I haven't been using my gear half as much as I should be. I feel guilty for neglecting my gear, I just need to clean up my spot and get a nice setup going, it is hard to work around clutter.
Heckler

Postby ToneBox » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:36 pm

Heckler wrote:Also it is really easy and cheap to make your own spring reverb for super weird lofi sounds, I'm currently working on my second one.

i might have to do one of these. i was looking into doing a DIY compressor kit but they look a bit complicated and i don't want to end up killing myself because i don't know shit about electronics.
ToneBox

Postby SB-SIX » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:30 pm

Hi,

I use mostly hardware. It's a bit more work than software, but has also many advantages. 1 is that you don't need a big pc :)

The tools I use for future garage are the elektron machinedrum, dsi evolver and kawai k3.

Cheers!
SB-SIX

Postby Mokujin » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:36 pm

Hi everyone.

I used to have a nice hardware only studio...many years ago... but due to relocation to Berlin.. I had to sell it all.

But ............... I have purchased some interesting digital equipment to perform Beatbox minimal and experimental F.G in Berlin over the pass year or so.

Korg KP2, Korg Kassillator Pro, KP3.. Shure 58 mic .. various pro hand percussion like Clave,Spinner shakers.

live performances ... all add libbed. No sequencers or computers used. I have a mate that plays a Moog little Phatty 2 for the B-Lines. Every performance is different... its refreshing to use no computer and sequencers, but man you have to be on your toes..lol and not too mashed up when you perform.

Also for my solo live F.G sets I have a Roland MC 505 ... I got one from Ebay.. in quite possibly the best condition ever... this is taking me a while to create my own patches from scratch.. I want to use this NOT Ableton live. Just me and the Roland in clubland working the pots... something unique for Berlino. This is planned much later in 2012.

I have quite an nice collection of virtual analog plugs... I save up and get those as space is a real concern for me in our apartment... and well the end result is fantastic and professional with developers like Waves producing quality like CLA, Sonnex, Abbey Road, Flux, Nomad Factory......... and Softube, which have developed for a few of what I have previously mentioned. These guys are the future of analog modeling.

So both... a mad crazy set up designed for sound design and experimentation... resampled and sequenced with love.

Again.. if ya aint got the skills to produce in any genre ... all the hardware and plugs aint gonna fix it.

Its so cliched what I have said but, very true.

Just enjoy your Art...
Mokujin

Next

Return to Production