Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
FutureGarageForum.com • View topic - Hats

Hats

Discuss Production Techniques and ask Production Questions here.

Hats

Postby Vectrex » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:18 am

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to ask, how do you guys go around finding (or creating) and mixing hats? I always seem to have a problem with these. Lately I created all my hats by just filtering different noise sources but what tips can you all give me for selecting and mixing hats? :)
Last edited by Vectrex on Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vectrex

Re: Hats

Postby Vectrex » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:19 am

Vectrex wrote:Hi everyone,

I just wanted to ask, how do you guys go around finding (or creating) and mixing hats? I always seem to have a problem with these. Lately I created all my hats by just filtering different noise sources but what tips can you all give me for selecting and mixing hats? :)
Vectrex

Postby Rufus_FrequentFlyers » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:19 pm

We tend to use either 909 or 808 hats (very unoriginal but saves looking around for ages) and don't put much effort into the selection of the sound so can't give much advice there other than find some you like and just stick with them.

The main points for us doing hats are getting the main hits on grid, all the ones you want to have the most impact, and then turning off the grid and placing the rest where they feel right. Thats how we get the swing into ours (although tbh we used to just use abletons swing grooves which are pretty handy).
Also think about the velocity of your hits, you can get some nice subtle changes and add emphasis to certain hits by reducing the velocity's of others.
One really handy tip for us has been adding abletons velocity plugin with the random knob cranked to about 20. This adds a bit of humanisation but still keeping the randomness low enough that any changes in velocity you've programed still come through.

When it comes to mixing them though for us its mainly just lo-cut any sample as much as possible without making any audible difference to the hat and most times pitching it up a bit to make it a little snappier. We also quite frequently pan the closed and open hits different amounts to either side depending on what else is going on in the drums. We're no masters at mixing drums though and I'm sure others will have much better tips for that.
Ruairidh
Hollow Legs & 1/3 of Frequent Flyers
[Facebook][Soundcloud][Twitter]

Mr.Beeb - What You Do (Hollow Legs Remix) [FREE DL]
http://soundcloud.com/hollow_legs/mr-beeb-what-you-do-hollow
Rufus_FrequentFlyers

Postby Stealth Elf » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:20 pm

If I can't find the right hat I want I just record it vocally. Usually the ones that are hard to find good samples of are the really airy 'tshhh' type ones which even for a non-beatboxer should be pretty easy to make with your tongue. Then whack a wee bit of distortion on it and boom, hat time.
Stealth Elf

Postby Vectrex » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:30 pm

alright, thanks for the reactions. some nice tips! :)
Vectrex

Postby slowpokecity » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:36 am

an old DnB/Jungle trick is to get a dub (reggae) record, sample it and roll off everything except the hats then just sample the hats. dub reggae always has some crazy hi-hat patterns but even if you didnt want the pattern i guess you could get some one-shots that way.

obviously theres breaks but i think the best way to get some hats is to just look for the obvious ones (808, 909, linndrum) and just mess with them how you want.
slowpokecity

Postby anexpresso » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:44 pm

try finding good hats on the internet. use a couple different hats (try 3-4 to start) or the same ones at different pitches/decay/filters, etc. then i like to eq them and use transient shapers, compressors, filters or anything that sounds cool at the moment. make sure they aren't fighting for frequency space and make sure the groove of the hats doesn't sound dumb along with the rest of the drums. i also make my drum hits at different velocities and volume to get a natural (less robotic) feel on my drums and it just sounds better imo. good luck :D
anexpresso

Postby TheSoundCenter » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:55 pm

Stealth Elf wrote:If I can't find the right hat I want I just record it vocally. Usually the ones that are hard to find good samples of are the really airy 'tshhh' type ones which even for a non-beatboxer should be pretty easy to make with your tongue. Then whack a wee bit of distortion on it and boom, hat time.

I think people underestimate the sample-making power of a beatboxers lips 8-)
TheSoundCenter

Postby Inxect » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:18 am

i have a kit with some electro house hats and snares (where i deleted the snares of course, terrible sounds), but i frequently use the hats. i just layer them two on two and turn down the distortion and pitch them up/down a bit.. then i modulate the eq, so the high part of the hat goes down a bit and the low part goes up a bit. this makes them a little less "harsh" in the sound and a bit more dubby. just for underlay, that's all - my main hats i usually sample from old jungle tracks, and then make the rhythms and grids for myself.
i can upload/send you the electro house hats, if you want them?
Inxect

Postby craigwilliamsmusic » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:19 pm

I'm with most people i'll have some 808/909 hats in there somewhere. I do use addictive drums plug (you can get a free demo here http://www.xlnaudio.com/en/downloads-ad ... drums_demo) that is pretty dam good. You can work the velocity and the open and closed hats to get more of a funky feel instead of just copy and pasting a single sample across a 8 bar section.
craigwilliamsmusic

Postby TheSoundCenter » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:37 am

slowpokecity wrote:an old DnB/Jungle trick is to get a dub (reggae) record, sample it and roll off everything except the hats then just sample the hats. dub reggae always has some crazy hi-hat patterns but even if you didnt want the pattern i guess you could get some one-shots that way.

This.

I did just this the other day, and the outcome was wonderful. The spring reverb that was left on the hats from the original recording make them sound great and echoed. And it had a sweet swing rhythm... just cut 'em up a bit, and they were perfect for a 2-step beat I was working on. :)
TheSoundCenter

Postby ninja_edit » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:36 am

I find flange helps. The one in Ableton has an LFO.
ninja_edit

Postby DFENDR » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:39 pm

ninja_edit wrote:I find flange helps. The one in Ableton has an LFO.

Interesting, would have never thought of this. Gunna try it out later!
Facebook / Soundcloud / Twitter

DFENDR - "Capture" (Original Mix)
http://soundcloud.com/dfendr/capture-original-mix
Out now on CK Division.
Buy it now on: iTunes || Beatport
DFENDR

Return to Production