Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
FutureGarageForum.com • View topic - Constructing 2-Step Drums :: Tutorial with pictures/samples

Constructing 2-Step Drums :: Tutorial with pictures/samples

Discuss Production Techniques and ask Production Questions here.

Re: Constructing 2-Step Drums :: Tutorial with pictures/samples

Postby ljp » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:29 pm

This is incredibly noobie, but could someone explain the numbers at the top of the piano roll? Like I've learned where to place what from using my ears and info from posts like these, but I've never understood the numbers If I'm honest... :oops: :roll:

Also, how I make my drums, (excuse me if i use wrong vocab or if i explain this shitty) is I have it set as 1/16, make my standard beat. In between every kick & snare I will fill it completely with hats. I then start taking some hats away until I reach a basic hi hat structure I like. I then turn the triplet grid on, and replace some of the hi hats with some on the triplet grid... if that makes sense, so I move a few to the next gridbox. Then turn the grid off and ever so slightly edge the hats left and right until they sound right. This way I find I get the "live" feel without sounding random or too off. I've yet to learn how to use Grooves properly, they just seem to dirty my drums up too much.

Although the track I'm working on at the moment, the hats are still very regimented, but I kinda like them like that. So I guess just piss about until you find something that sounds alright.
ljp

Postby kingnaya » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:12 pm

do we not get the individual hits so we can practice making the loop?
kingnaya

Postby blnd! » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:44 pm

ljp wrote:This is incredibly noobie, but could someone explain the numbers at the top of the piano roll? Like I've learned where to place what from using my ears and info from posts like these, but I've never understood the numbers If I'm honest... :oops: :roll:
these numbers: 1, 1.1.3, 1.2, 1.2.3, 1.3 etc?

kingnaya wrote:do we not get the individual hits so we can practice making the loop?

does it matter what kinda hits u use? cant u just use your drums? what would be the difference?
blnd!

Postby beebmun » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:19 pm

blnd! wrote:does it matter what kinda hits u use? cant u just use your drums? what would be the difference?
+1

Don't try to copy the tutorial exactly. Take the lessons from it and utilise the information to create your own style....

There is no "right" way to construct a garage drum beat. I learned the basics via Blnd!s exellent garage sample pack by taking the best apart and finding my own way.
beebmun

Postby ljp » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:02 pm

blnd! wrote:
ljp wrote:This is incredibly noobie, but could someone explain the numbers at the top of the piano roll? Like I've learned where to place what from using my ears and info from posts like these, but I've never understood the numbers If I'm honest... :oops: :roll:
these numbers: 1, 1.1.3, 1.2, 1.2.3, 1.3 etc?

Yus :D
ljp

Postby Kolendo » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:26 am

Those numbers are markers for how many beats there are within each bar (assuming you draw a note only on each marker).
So if you know basic music theory, they are essentially a representation of a time signature.

Typically in Ableton each whole number (1, 2, 3, 4, etc) is a marker for an entire bar.
So if the numbers within your clip go up to 4, then you have 4 bars of music in that clip.

1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, etc. are makers for quarter note beats within the first bar.
So at that zoom/scale of the piano roll, you'll have four beats per bar.

As you zoom in more, you'll notice the beats per bar increase (1, 1.1.3, 1.2, 1.2.3, etc.)
This now indicates eighth note beats on each marker (eight beats per bar).

And so on and so forth. Blah, sorry if this is a lame explanation, I'm no good at explaining music theory.
Kolendo

Postby AmongstBirds » Fri May 04, 2012 4:31 pm

nice and straight to the point.

been lurking here for a lil while and came across this vid today that i thought might fit into this topic. lil bit different approach, but essentially all leads to the same thing

AmongstBirds

Postby ortamusic » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:13 am

Sweet tutorial! Thanks for taking the time to post it!
ortamusic

Postby museman92 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:35 pm

thanks man, im new to production especially future garage and found this tutorial really helpful!
museman92

Postby DFENDR » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:33 pm

Kolendo, my man! Great tutorial actually, and you finally inspired me to make an account here, been lurkin this forum too long :oops:

Anyhow, for what it's worth, here's what I've been trying to do lately. I've moved from using the groove pool, when I first started, to drawing everything in (quantized) and moving hats, sticks, clicks, etc. around AFTER I draw it in quantized. Sort of don't like it when I think about it, so I tried out your idea last night, liked it a lot. Yeah, i guess it feels more organic to write it in and tinker around with it and build the flow and swing as you go, rather than writing a whole drum loop and THEN trying to make it feel more human. I guess you get there the same way, but it's interesting and rewarding to keep trying new methods. I think it's easy to get into a routine (I do it) where you just keep redoing the same process over and over again with each song, and it can become repetitive and even start making your songs sound the same (been my feeling with my own production lately).

Trying new things, no matter how big or small, can generate some really new, fresh ideas and can be a lot of fun and definitely worth exploring.
Facebook / Soundcloud / Twitter

DFENDR - "Capture" (Original Mix)
http://soundcloud.com/dfendr/capture-original-mix
Out now on CK Division.
Buy it now on: iTunes || Beatport
DFENDR

Postby Kolendo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:47 am

DFENDR wrote:Kolendo, my man! Great tutorial actually, and you finally inspired me to make an account here, been lurkin this forum too long :oops:

Trying new things, no matter how big or small, can generate some really new, fresh ideas and can be a lot of fun and definitely worth exploring.

Glad you find it useful, all I can hope for from this tutorial is people generating something new and fresh.
There are definitely many different ways of making the percussion of song, this is, as I said, my personal favourite way.
Kolendo

Postby DFENDR » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:58 pm

Kolendo wrote:
DFENDR wrote:Trying new things, no matter how big or small, can generate some really new, fresh ideas and can be a lot of fun and definitely worth exploring.

Glad you find it useful, all I can hope for from this tutorial is people generating something new and fresh.
There are definitely many different ways of making the percussion of song, this is, as I said, my personal favourite way.

Hey, don't I know it. I try anything I can, including (at one point) simply dragging my samples onto individual audio tracks. :shock:

That did not last long...

Out now on CK Division.
DFENDR

Postby bkwsk » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:46 pm

Well, that method (dragging samples to individual audio tracks) can work, I can assure you that.
bkwsk

Postby DFENDR » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:27 pm

bkwsk wrote:Well, that method (dragging samples to individual audio tracks) can work, I can assure you that.

No doubt, used it in a few tracks on my SoundCloud (ThunderSnow EP) but I just found that it was not the most efficient way for me. That's all...

Out now on CK Division.
DFENDR

Postby Dm1Dm1 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:04 pm

i remember watching this, so much essential info in one video
Dm1Dm1

Previous

Return to Production