Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
FutureGarageForum.com • View topic - Home-studio monitors

Home-studio monitors

Discuss Production Techniques and ask Production Questions here.

Re: Home-studio monitors

Postby Whyrez » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:28 pm

I always feel that the monitors flat frequency issue is a bit overstated and flawed. At the end of the day you're going to need to go through a few crappy mixes in order to know the sound of your speakers and the environment they're in, this is going to be the case for any monitors. You will get used to how your own system sounds and its inconsistencies with use and will learn how the mix in your environment translates out into others. As long as you get it artistically sounding good to your preference within your room and it sounds good (but not necessarily perfect) outside of your room with maybe a bit of a boom in the mids or not enough shimmer in the tops you can begin to mix your tracks to suit this. Listen to other commercially mastered music through your system at how that sounds as a reference, get to know the sound of your set up.

Obviously it is important to have the sound as audibly close as possible to a flat frequency response, or how the mix ACTUALLY sounds but if this is unachievable then you have to compensate accordingly, no use worrying about it too much!
Whyrez

Postby DFENDR » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:11 pm

Whyrez wrote:I always feel that the monitors flat frequency issue is a bit overstated and flawed. At the end of the day you're going to need to go through a few crappy mixes in order to know the sound of your speakers and the environment they're in, this is going to be the case for any monitors. You will get used to how your own system sounds and its inconsistencies with use and will learn how the mix in your environment translates out into others.

Well said, very very true
Facebook / Soundcloud / Twitter

DFENDR - "Capture" (Original Mix)
http://soundcloud.com/dfendr/capture-original-mix
Out now on CK Division.
Buy it now on: iTunes || Beatport
DFENDR

Postby jgbrenn » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:34 am

If you are not able to bass trap your room, I would not recommend getting a subwoofer.

Like someone else said earlier, they are a bitch acoustically. There are so many things to consider: where you put it in the room, its level verses the near fields, its crossover frequency.

All this is important because sub bass frequencies have very long wavelengths. The pressure waves the sub creates build up in your room making some parts of it resonate more or less. So for example lets say where you sit to mix resonants a lot at 90 Hz. This makes you attenuate 90 Hz in your mixes, and when you go play them somewhere else your bass sounds weird.

I'd recommend putting your funds towards 2 nearfields, or 2 nearfields and some acoustic treatment for between the speakers on the wall you're facing.
jgbrenn

Postby ninja_edit » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:30 am

jgbrenn wrote:If you are not able to bass trap your room, I would not recommend getting a subwoofer.

Like someone else said earlier, they are a bitch acoustically. There are so many things to consider: where you put it in the room, its level verses the near fields, its crossover frequency.

I don't think those are actually very difficult to figure out. I'm sure you could make some kind of makeshift bass traps for cheap, even you throw blankets in the corners.
ninja_edit

Postby ToneBox » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:23 pm

I'd wait for the new Adam F series.
ToneBox

Postby materielle » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:57 am

ToneBox wrote:I'd wait for the new Adam F series.

At first I thought this was a joke about the DnB producer, but then I realized what was going on...
materielle

Postby Whyrez » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:38 pm

I've considered getting some Adam's for a long, long time... Still don't need them and I'm generally a 'buy when I need' kinda guy these days. They do sound nice though, clean. And look professional too, which is a small but relevant in a minor way if you have others coming into your studio.
Whyrez

Previous

Return to Production