Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
FutureGarageForum.com • View topic - Pads

Pads

Discuss Production Techniques and ask Production Questions here.

Pads

Postby lrodri » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:36 am

Hello,

I am new to garage and I would like to know some advises in creating pads. I use ableton live native instruments and would love to hear your tips, tricks and advices in creating pads.

thanks in advance
lrodri

Re: Pads

Postby charlux » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:48 am

Most important thing, first of all...Lowpass Filter, followed by reverb and delay.
Really, you could take a low passed saw wave, played in a chord with a lot of reverb and delay and make a somewhat decent pad.
Giving it a long attack and release is also good for giving it a smoother feel.
You mentioned you use NI plugins. NI Massive, despite it being the favourite of brosteppers everywhere, can make really awesome pads. One of the reasons is because it has a lot of different wavetables, so you're not stuck with analog waveforms. Also it has two filters, with many modes, and you can route the filters into each other( it's a pretty common thing with synths though, so if you dont use Massive, it's all still aplicable)
Another thing about pads is you have to experiment with a lot with modulation, just start hooking things up, modulating your filter is a good place to start.
Now as far as effects, reverb and delay are crucial(reverb more so), but experiment with anything, chorus, phaser, whatever.
charlux

Postby ninja_edit » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:20 am

Absynth can make good ambient sounds like pads as well.

Charlux's answer was good. Some of what you want is a slow amp envelope, fill a wide frequency range to "pad out" the sound, and keep it interesting with LFOs.
ninja_edit

Postby Spatial Abuse » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:35 pm

try layering different pad sounds on top of each other and automating the volumes of each one separately to get a kinda shifting complex pad sound.
Spatial Abuse

Postby lrodri » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:07 am

I dont like using vst's I rather use ableton native instruments but I might as well try massive and absynth for a change.
I will work on your advises this weekend. I'll let you know my progress.
thanks again for your advises. Saludos desde Mexico!
lrodri

Postby charlux » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:35 am

lrodri wrote:I dont like using vst's I rather use ableton native instruments

Ohhhh, you mean abletons native plugins, I thought you meant Native Instruments the company.
charlux

Postby lrodri » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:38 pm

charlux wrote:
lrodri wrote:I dont like using vst's I rather use ableton native instruments

Ohhhh, you mean abletons native plugins, I thought you meant Native Instruments the company.

yeah! I guess I did not explained myself but I will use your tips anyways. :mrgreen:
lrodri

Postby blnd! » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:47 pm

lrodri wrote:I dont like using vst's

why?
blnd!

Postby lrodri » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:18 pm

blnd! wrote:

why?

Mainly because I don't understand them haha
they can be confusing sometimes with all the parameters and for someone that is new to producing music can become a detriment in learning.
lrodri

Postby charlux » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:23 am

lrodri wrote:
blnd! wrote:

why?

they can be confusing sometimes with all the parameters and for someone that is new to producing music can become a detriment in learning.

Even if your only comfortable using ableton's plugins, I wouldn't worry, a lot of people on this board use primarily ableton plugins and their music sounds great.
charlux

Postby DFENDR » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:56 pm

charlux wrote:Even if your only comfortable using ableton's plugins, I wouldn't worry, a lot of people on this board use primarily ableton plugins and their music sounds great.

I started on Massive as soon as I was on Live, which I really regret now. Not because Massive isn't great, it's a wonderful tool, but I had to go back later to learn all of Ableton's instruments like Analog and Operator, which I'm still doing.

Think people made some great suggestions already, I use Massive for my pads, like it a lot. Usually use some very VERY small amounts of white noise and bit crushers on my too. Chorus is always a great addition to pads as well. One of my favorite things to do on pads is to use a couple of Ableton's Multiband Dynamics to split and solo sounds, then put effects on those soloed frequency chains. You can find a lot of other great tips on the forum if you search around.
Facebook / Soundcloud / Twitter

DFENDR - "Capture" (Original Mix)
http://soundcloud.com/dfendr/capture-original-mix
Out now on CK Division.
Buy it now on: iTunes || Beatport
DFENDR

Postby Rufus_FrequentFlyers » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:41 am

For Pads I more or less always use either Analog, Simpler or Sampler for pads. A good tip though is to use Instrument racks to layer different synths/samplers together. For me thats the key to getting more complex sounding pads.

You can also get away with relatively simple synth patches by using complicated chord's stretching over multiple octaves. You'd be surprised how a simple saw wave (or square or sine for that matter), with a slow attack and release opens up with a nice chord sequence and a bit of filtering. You'll probably want to tweak it to taste after that, possibly add a bit of detuning/unison and other bits and bobs but as a jump off point it's pretty good.
Ruairidh
Hollow Legs & 1/3 of Frequent Flyers
[Facebook][Soundcloud][Twitter]

Mr.Beeb - What You Do (Hollow Legs Remix) [FREE DL]
http://soundcloud.com/hollow_legs/mr-beeb-what-you-do-hollow
Rufus_FrequentFlyers

Postby lowlandnz » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:48 am

they can be confusing sometimes with all the parameters and for someone that is new to producing music can become a detriment in learning.[/quote]
Even if your only comfortable using ableton's plugins, I wouldn't worry, a lot of people on this board use primarily ableton plugins and their music sounds great.[/quote]

Unless you have a shitload of spare cash, or access to a full recording studio, you will NEED to use vst's.

Don;t be scared of it just because you don;t understand it - LEARN IT.

Its never too late, and really you do need to "keep up with the joneses", with any electronic music the expected level of production just gets higher and higher..

knowledge is power after all
lowlandnz

Postby jaydot » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:37 am

I like to use what I term "floaty pads". Sine wave(s) with long attack reverb delay and a lp filter.
jaydot

Postby elkwolfsun » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:55 pm

same tips as everybody here has already stated.

slow attack and release. some low pass filtering. nice use of delay based effects (reverb + delay). I like to resample a lot of my ambient/pad sounds. I create a sound I like. bounce it to audio. apply more effects and keep working. the trick (I find) to creating an interesting pad sound is to have a lot of modulation happening. so the sound is constantly evolving. it shouldn't sound like a static drone (unless that's what you're going after). another thing to consider is playing chords (already mentioned I know), but trigger the notes at different times. eg. have the root and the fifth trigger first. then have the minor third trigger some time after that.
elkwolfsun

Next

Return to Production