Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
FutureGarageForum.com • View topic - James Blake Sound!!!

James Blake Sound!!!

Discuss Production Techniques and ask Production Questions here.

Re: James Blake Sound!!!

Postby Nauj » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:40 am

https://soundcloud.com/witness123

There you go

One Logic
One Ableton

Subtle difference, but definately noticeable with the right headphones. So imagine it's noticeable on every single sound. It adds up. Then add in the thin effects..
Nauj

Postby charlux » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:55 am

Nauj wrote:https://soundcloud.com/witness123

There you go

One Logic
One Ableton

Subtle difference, but definately noticeable with the right headphones. So imagine it's noticeable on every single sound. It adds up. Then add in the thin effects..

All I noticed was how delicious that kick was, yum. But there may be very small differences, but just the way a track is mastered could add a bigger differences, making whatever difference you hear indiscernible. But anyway, make those clips downloadable so I can hear them without the soundcloud compression.
Last edited by charlux on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
charlux

Postby ninja_edit » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:50 am

Are you certain that you're recording and exporting at the same sample rate and bit depth? Short of that, the sound engine may actually be different.
ninja_edit

Postby Nauj » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:56 am

They are downloadable now.
One is WAV & one is mp3. Exported at 24 bit 44k.

For me, it's a minor difference, but I'm not aware of any professional studios that use Ableton as the hub. Ableton themselves have said Live 9 will be the 'new industry standard' but if it still colours the sound then that's not possible. Why is Logic the go-to DAW?

There must be a key reason - otherwise studios would use Ableton, it's that simple.

Edit - Just realized I've hijacked the thread - soz mate.
Nauj

Postby blnd! » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:14 pm

Nauj wrote:They are downloadable now.
One is WAV & one is mp3. Exported at 24 bit 44k.

For me, it's a minor difference, but I'm not aware of any professional studios that use Ableton as the hub. Ableton themselves have said Live 9 will be the 'new industry standard' but if it still colours the sound then that's not possible. Why is Logic the go-to DAW?

There must be a key reason - otherwise studios would use Ableton, it's that simple.

Edit - Just realized I've hijacked the thread - soz mate.

The difference you hear is the difference between wav and mp3.

Before you post or open a new topic about this subject, i suggest you to do some research: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=daw+sound+engine+difference ;)
(especially the gearsluts and reaper/cockos forums)
blnd!

Postby Nauj » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:19 pm

I've read plenty of threads but everyone seems to dodge the question.

The bottom line is - if there is absolutely no difference between Ableton and Logic / Cubase / PT sonically; then why do no proper studios use Ableton?
It's a pretty straight forward question, yet everyone seems to dodge it (especially Ableton fan boys).

Ableton leads the way in functionality. It's faster than Logic if you want to layer samples, if you want to layer instrument racks and if you want to get ideas down quickly.
Yet, despite these massive pluses, it's never the choice of those in professional studios. Why not? Well, that's the key question.
Nauj

Postby bkwsk » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:00 pm

The answer is (at least for me) pretty simple: producers and studios are different things and therefore need different stuff. :roll:
bkwsk

Postby ninja_edit » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:08 pm

Pro Tools might be the standard because it's most established.

http://src.infinitewave.ca/

When exporting to lower sample rates, Logic is more technically correct than Ableton in only some ways, but not in others. We're talking about -120 vs -160 db of noise.

What may be unique about Ableton's sound is its non-linear phase when down-sampling. (Will this be fixed with Ableton 9?)

Reason seems to be the worst by far...
ninja_edit

Postby ehbrums1 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:31 pm

ninja_edit wrote:Reason seems to be the worst by far...

do you have any basis for this statement or are you just spewing shit you find on the internet, because i can list off some quality artist who use reason. lemme guess, reason is the worst because i can't use my cracked copies of massive, fm8, and every waves/izotope ever invented....so much misinformation in this thread its ridiculous
ehbrums1

Postby ninja_edit » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:41 am

Reason has the noisiest downsampling. :roll:

Ableton

Logic

Reason
ninja_edit

Postby ehbrums1 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:13 am

if your ears can go down to -80 hz then thats a legitimate claim...but i highly doubt that
ehbrums1

Postby charlux » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:38 am

This is getting redic'. Lets all just let the final product speak for itself.

Now. How about that Blake fellow? I hear he goes shopping with his mother, what a nice boy.
charlux

Postby ehbrums1 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:43 am

charlux wrote:How about that Blake fellow? I hear he goes shopping with his mother, what a nice boy.

word around the water cooler is that he also takes his elderly grandmother bird feeding in the park every sunday...top bloke
ehbrums1

Postby ninja_edit » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:46 am

ehbrums1 wrote:if your ears can go down to -80 hz then thats a legitimate claim...but i highly doubt that

When the sun is on the other side of the Earth, does it stop existing?

EDIT: And you have to sum all that noise. It also lacked in other tests.

Ableton

Logic

Reason
ninja_edit

Postby charlux » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:14 am

OMG! We get it, you're a scientist. But Ive heard good music come from reason...sooooooo.

So, I repeat myself.....How about that James Blake?
charlux

PreviousNext

Return to Production