Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
FutureGarageForum.com • View topic - Chillstep Tutorial

Chillstep Tutorial

Discuss Production Techniques and ask Production Questions here.

Chillstep Tutorial

Postby youngsurprise » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:24 pm

Anyone knows some cool tutorials or someone can give me some tips about Chillstep? I'm using ableton live but I guess anything goes... I would like to get a more ambient and chilled sound...
FOLLOW ME ON SOUNDCLOUD -> https://soundcloud.com/owlframe
youngsurprise

Re: Chillstep Tutorial

Postby ehbrums1 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:34 pm

whats chillstep?
ehbrums1

Postby charlux » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:36 pm

ehbrums1 wrote:whats chillstep?

Pretty much ambient future garage with halftime drums instead of fulltime 2step drums. Thats what I gather anyway.
charlux

Postby ehbrums1 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:39 pm

charlux wrote:

Pretty much ambient future garage with halftime drums instead of fulltime 2step drums. Thats what I gather anyway.

i know what it is, its just the stupidest name i think I've ever heard
ehbrums1

Postby charlux » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:20 am

ehbrums1 wrote:
charlux wrote:

i know what it is, its just the stupidest name i think I've ever heard

Ok then, ...? I dont really like the name either, but that is beside the point

Anyway, to the O.P. Pretty much anything you read around this forum can apply. Chillstep isn't much of a genre more a term for anything thing dubsteppy that is soft, so it's difficult to give you specific tips. I dare say you might want to search around the dubstep forums as well, if you haven't already.
Last edited by charlux on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
charlux

Postby M@B » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:46 am

Buckle up y'all!
M@B

Postby ninja_edit » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:03 am

I guess my advice would be look at ambient music production, as well as dubstep production.

Like get your drums and subbass down, throw on some pads/field recordings, and whack on some vocals.

What is the difference between half-time and 2-step?
ninja_edit

Postby charlux » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:12 am

ninja_edit wrote:What is the difference between half-time and 2-step?

Well, I guess halftime dubstep drums are technically 2step. I just mean to differentiate between the slow halftime beats of most modern dubstep aposed to the fulltime beats of most garage.
charlux

Postby youngsurprise » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:17 pm

I don't like the name "chillstep" too but it's what we have.

Thanks for the tips. I'm using Ableton Live 8 and the sounds that appear with the system I think that suck a lot... I can't discovered a nice sound to make a bass :\
youngsurprise

Postby charlux » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:05 am

youngsurprise wrote:I can't discovered a nice sound to make a bass :\

Then you'll have to synthesize one :D . A perfectly suitable dubstep bass can be made out of a square wave and a lowpass filter, most old school dubstep basses were little more than that anyway.
charlux

Postby lowlandnz » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:24 am

I take it you mean the "Phaeleh" kind of sound ?

Love this sound myself - I think the main thing is to keep it simple.

The thing with using less sounds is that ALL the sounds need to be top notch so be prepared to spend hours layering beats/ eqing/ compressing.

Try downloading some world music for the ethnic instrument sounds - things like gongs, panflutes, sitars.

Learn how to make an amazing pad on whatever synth you use.

:D

- Also the classic "side-chain the pad to the kick" trick is always a goodie
lowlandnz

Postby Motive » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:12 pm

Learn music theory.

This type of music works because the melodies and chords work well together. The most import thing about this 'genre' is the musical element.

For instance Phaeleh is grade 8 in classical guitar so his knows his stuff musically. I would advice learning to play the piano (because once you can do that you can compose any music on a keyboard).

Good luck :)
Motive

Postby Elkie » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:27 pm

you're in luck!
Elkie

Postby youngsurprise » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:06 pm

That seems cool! I will check it! THANKS!
youngsurprise

Postby Rufus_FrequentFlyers » Mon May 06, 2013 11:53 pm

That Phaelah tutorial was really good, cheers for posting.
Ruairidh
Hollow Legs & 1/3 of Frequent Flyers
[Facebook][Soundcloud][Twitter]

Mr.Beeb - What You Do (Hollow Legs Remix) [FREE DL]
http://soundcloud.com/hollow_legs/mr-beeb-what-you-do-hollow
Rufus_FrequentFlyers

Return to Production