Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
FutureGarageForum.com • View topic - How Do You Use Breaks In Your Productions

How Do You Use Breaks In Your Productions

Discuss Production Techniques and ask Production Questions here.

How Do You Use Breaks In Your Productions

Postby Rufus_FrequentFlyers » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:35 pm

So after the recent thread on Classic Breaks Collections I now have a folder full of Breakey goodness.

I mainly wanted these for sampling individual drum hits from.

However I've also been having a little play about with layering them on top of my own beats for some extra flavour.
This, I have to say, has not proved entirely successful and seems much harder than I'd thought (surprise surprise :roll: )

I'm going to devote some more time to playing about with this next week to try to get a better grasp on making them fit but in the meantime I thought it would be cool to see how everyone else is using breaks in their productions and if you guys have any tips.
Ruairidh
Hollow Legs & 1/3 of Frequent Flyers
[Facebook][Soundcloud][Twitter]

Mr.Beeb - What You Do (Hollow Legs Remix) [FREE DL]
http://soundcloud.com/hollow_legs/mr-beeb-what-you-do-hollow
Rufus_FrequentFlyers

Re: How Do You Use Breaks In Your Productions

Postby M@B » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:02 am

I too have recently began exploring this are. At first I got really frustrated! But I am seeking to de-sterilize my beats with the human element as well as introduce some top end noise inherenty found in vinyl rips.
M@B

Postby charlux » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:40 am

When I use breaks, I pretty much use them in their entirety, when I'm making hip/trip hop or some sort of breaks genre. The important thing when using them like this is to layer a fatter kick under the the original kick, because they are rarely substantial. Its best if you can find a fat kick from another break for this purpose, because layering a 909 or 808 kick usually sounds weird.
charlux

Postby ehbrums1 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:52 am

I find that using the hats from breaks give some extra weight to the ones that i like to use. so thats what i use em for :)
ehbrums1

Postby Rufus_FrequentFlyers » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:07 pm

charlux wrote:When I use breaks, I pretty much use them in their entirety, when I'm making hip/trip hop or some sort of breaks genre. The important thing when using them like this is to layer a fatter kick under the the original kick, because they are rarely substantial. Its best if you can find a fat kick from another break for this purpose, because layering a 909 or 808 kick usually sounds weird.

Ah cool, I remember seeing a vid with RJD2 where he said he used to take a copy of the original kick and pitch it down some then layer it back with the original to give it more low end. He did it all on an MPC so it was a bit of faff but in Ableton it'd be super kick.

ehbrums1 wrote:I find that using the hats from breaks give some extra weight to the ones that i like to use. so thats what i use em for :)

Yeh this is mainly what I've been trying to do so far. Do you take out individual hits and reprogram them or do you just Hi-Pass the full break and layer it up. Have had trouble getting this to work via the second method.
Ruairidh

Rufus_FrequentFlyers

Postby ehbrums1 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:28 am

Rufus_FrequentFlyers wrote:
ehbrums1 wrote:I find that using the hats from breaks give some extra weight to the ones that i like to use. so thats what i use em for :)

Yeh this is mainly what I've been trying to do so far. Do you take out individual hits and reprogram them or do you just Hi-Pass the full break and layer it up. Have had trouble getting this to work via the second method.

i use that site that has the rex files. load that into doctor octo rex, copy the midi from my hat line into the rex player, and set which hats i want.
ehbrums1

Postby Rufus_FrequentFlyers » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:54 am

ehbrums1 wrote:
Rufus_FrequentFlyers wrote:

i use that site that has the rex files. load that into doctor octo rex, copy the midi from my hat line into the rex player, and set which hats i want.

Ah cool, hadn't thought of doing it quite like that. I don't have Reason but I could prob manage something pretty similar with Slice-To-Midi in Ableton.
Ruairidh

Rufus_FrequentFlyers

Postby ehbrums1 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:43 am

deffinetly, all your really doing is copying notes from one channel to another
ehbrums1

Postby lowlandnz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:37 pm

I normally chuck a break in there when its sounding a bit clinical - Using abletons beat slicer and then fixing up the start/ end times of each hit individually.

Then I'd get the snares and kicks matched up and maybe play around with the hats/ ghost snares.

Breaks kind of bring all the elements together if you do it properly - it doesn't need to be that loud either.

In terms of processing I'd normally hi pass the thing and just some basic EQing.

I'd normally fiddle with the decay/ release times to get it sounding nice and tight.

Thats just me!
lowlandnz

Postby elkwolfsun » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:06 pm

I'm crap at chopping breaks. I was really into jungle for such a long time but I never got any good at chopping and re-arranging breaks.

now I have a huge break collection which I've been trying to find a use for. the most common thing I do is throw a HP filter on a break and just layer that on top of my drums. as I program nearly all my drums on the grid, it's a nice way to introduce a bit of a natural feel to my beats.
elkwolfsun

Postby lowlandnz » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 pm

I normally chop the break and layer it exactly over the kick and snare.

At this point it brings the drums together and makes them sound like they are all from the same kit.

From there I suggest trying it without the kicks from the break, so you just get he snares and shuffles.

Works well if you still want to get that big 909 kick sound. Thats me!!
lowlandnz

Postby roots » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:19 am

I found what best works for me and the sound I like to create is to layer one or two breaks over certain points in a track, I like a raw sound so I keep mine pretty flat unless they are competing for space or I want a more prominent sound is certain areas, in which case I either cut freq, or better still just cut up the break and take away what's not necessary.

If you're layering for fills or rides always keep them low in the mix, of filter.

I also like to bus mine through a guitar amp to get the desired sound that I like, however this can turn out horribly wrong in some cases.

If that doesn't work layer double use one as a ghost with just an effect on to create more atmosphere with your drums, this works especially well when trying to obtain the 2step swing.

Just experimenting I think is a always the key, don't be afraid to try something different.

Depending on what sound you are going for for a small cost you can pick up a cheap emu sampler or something like that to mess about on. This will give you an Insite to the early hip hop sampling. And you get that grotty sound, but again that's if you like that kind of thing.

Can all pretty much be done in a digi sampler anyways
roots

Postby listen_carefully » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:53 pm

Great thread! I had a very special problem that may be someone can help with. I usually do hip-hop/trip-hop, so I don't really process breaks that heavy — put them audio channel in Ableton as an original loop and then cut and chop them up. But when I want a bit of a silence, even for 1/8, it's really noticeable that break is disappearing, because the original recording hum and vynil cracks are gone (I usually sample tracks from Ultimate Breaks & Beats series). Every listener, even those who know nothing about breaks and production, notice that suddenly something changed, and that's not what I want.

If the break has a bit of silence without any hit tails, I just put them in, and they fit surprisingly good. However, they are not always available; some times the breaks a just too tight, or they have long hit tails and reverb, so even the "silent" bits have some sort of attack sound that is noticeable if you, for example, loop them. Do you guys run into that problem? How do you solve this?
listen_carefully

Return to Production