Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/future_garage/futuregarageforum.com/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
FutureGarageForum.com • View topic - Help with Bright "bubbling" bass sound?

Help with Bright "bubbling" bass sound?

Discuss Production Techniques and ask Production Questions here.

Help with Bright "bubbling" bass sound?

Postby bennietucker » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:47 pm

Hi,

Firstly this forum has helped my production out innumerable times in the past two years and so cheers and sorry that my first post is a request for help haha. But I simply can't work out how to make this sort of bassline used in alot of Uk house and some of the more poppy garage tunes coming out today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrxbxOhqn00 (sound comes in at about 1.40 and is in it alot from then onwards)

Disclosure also use it in alot (almost all it now seems) of their tunes and I simply can't get anywhere near it. It sounds like there's some kind of filtering involved and the actual sound is something not too complicated (a sine wave?)

Anyway any advice on this would help me out so much.

bennietucker

Re: Help with Bright "bubbling" bass sound?

Postby charlux » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:07 pm

This is an FM sound, so you'll need an FM synth for this. A lot of classic garage basses are FM, If you have FM8 here is a screenshot I took to help you.
I set Operator E to ratio 2 and fed it into Operator F to about 30, but you could tweak this to taste. Notice the envelope on it, that is what give it the pluck. And on operator F I just set the envelope similar to E so it trails of instead just ringing out(one thing I forgot to do is turn key synch on on both operators).
Also, if you want to make a classic hallow bass, just set a longer attack on Op E. Well, if you don't have FM8, I don't really now what to tell you, but it is a great synth, pretty much all I use for basses anymore.
Last edited by charlux on Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charlux

Postby bennietucker » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:27 pm

Thank you so much!

I literally had no idea what created that sound, a guy I produce with sometimes has FM8 so I'll work with him on it. Thank you so much :)
bennietucker

Postby charlux » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:54 pm

bennietucker wrote:Thank you so much!

I literally had no idea what created that sound, a guy I produce with sometimes has FM8 so I'll work with him on it. Thank you so much :)

No Problem! But I'll just say this inst going to sound just like it, you still need to experiment with effects and tweaking the patch itself. Try messing with the ratio of E, the higher you go the brighter it will get. Try adding in more operators...so on and so forth. FM is confusing at first , but it is easily one of the most versatile forms of synthesis.
charlux

Postby Deep Theory » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:27 am

Fuck what a tune. Definitely reminds me of Disclosure. And dat bass, god damn man. Need that.

Sounds like there is some envelope filtering going on...or is that just me?
Deep Theory

Postby Deep Theory » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:06 pm

Sorry I should have been more specific. I meant an envelope filter like the old school ones funk bands used to use...I think mooger fooger is one of them and I know I've seen Disclosure use that unit before. But I'm sure that's just one way to do it...

I guess the other way would be to some how link the amount that Operator E is modulating F to the velocity of a midi controller? Charlux, any ideas on that? I'm not very savvy with FM8
Deep Theory

Postby Deep Theory » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:10 pm

Fuck I'm spamming this thread but on second listen it sounds like it's linked to pitch not velocity...so that the higher you play the more Operator E modulates Operate F
Deep Theory

Postby bennietucker » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:46 pm

I couldn't even work out how to automate the ratio of Operator E so I just ended up creating about 6 fm8s at different ratios and then just whacking different notes into different ones and seeing what worked haha. It was a bit long but it did the trick :)
bennietucker

Return to Production